Saturday, February 27, 2010

An American Day

Today, I was an American in Paris with Alexandra. For brunch, we went to a restaurant called Breakfast in America. It was certainly more American than the breakfasts I usually get here - you know, "les cornflakes" with a side of "le nesquick." On second thought, those breakfasts are much more American than this other place. The only time I ever have this kind of breakfast is when I go to Miss Shirley's, and this was no Miss Shirley's. I'd much prefer "les cornflakes," which are Special K with rolls of dark chocolate in it! I never knew that Special K was so good, but I think when I get home, I need to start buying it. This morning, though, I had a New Mexican omelet (because omelets definitely aren't French at all...), complete with salsa, cheddar cheese, and hash browns. It was tasty, but not better than other omelets I've had here in actual French restaurants.

After a Breakfast in America breakfast in Paris with a British waiter, we walked around a little. I tried Turkish delights. I have to say, I don't see why Edmond almost destroyed Narnia for them in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. They were good, but not that good. And they got powdered sugar all over my black coat. We walked around in Le Jardin des Plantes too. Then, I taught English for a while. After that, Alexandra and I went to the Buffalo Grill for dinner. Don't worry - I know better than to try Parisian chicken wings. I had ribs, and they were just okay. I wouldn't have expected them to be any better.

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow will be a more French day. I don't want to pretend I'm still in America. That's not the point of studying abroad. I can eat American food when I get back. For now, I'm still focused on being Parisian.

No comments:

Post a Comment